Thursday, November 14, 2013

 
   That historians should give their own country a break I grant you; but not so as to state things contrary to fact. For there are plenty of mistakes made by writers out of ignorance, and which any man finds it difficult to avoid. But if we knowingly write what is false, whether for sake of our country or our friends or just to be pleasant, what difference is there between us and hack-writers? Readers should be very attentive and critical of historians, and they in turn should be consistently on their guard.

                                                                                                           Polybius




When I first read these remarks 25 years ago I realized I needed to re-learn my history.  I can only ask that all students of history take the advice of Polybius. If there is something good to come out of a historical event it will surface without our embellishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment